t.rausch @ dsg.tuwien.ac.at
+43 1 58801 184838
last edited: 14.03.2019
Thomas is a university assistant and PhD student at the Distributed Systems Group of the Institute of Information Systems Engineering. After finishing his bachelor studies in 2014, he received a master’s degree in Software Engineering & Internet Computing from TU Wien in 2016. Before joining the Distributed Systems Group, Thomas worked for three years as a software engineer at the industry-oriented research facility CDL-Flex, developing a data integration platform for systems engineering data and tools. He also has over four years of professional experience in Web application engineering. In 2018 he spent three months as a visiting researcher at IBM Watson Research in New York, working on systems to operationalize AI. His current activities include researching event-based systems for Edge computing applications, and Cloud/Edge engineering in the CPS/IoT Ecosystem project.
- Edge computing
- Operations research
- Systems for AI
- Event-based systems
- Empirical software engineering
|184.167||Distributed Systems||UE, 3.0 ECTS|
|184.153||Distributed Systems Engineering||VU, 3.0 ECTS|
|184.260||Distributed Systems Technologies||VU, 6.0 ECTS|
|184.715||Project in Software Engineering & Internet Computing||PR, 12.0 ECTS|
|194.058||Project in Computer Science 1||PR, 6.0 ECTS|
|194.059||Project in Computer Science 2||PR, 6.0 ECTS|
|184.194||Seminar in Distributed Systems||SE, 3.0 ECTS|
Thesis & Project Supervision
I offer project topics and I am also happy to (co-)advise bachelor or master theses. Check out my projects page to see what I’m working on. If you are interested in working on one of these projects, we can develop a topic for a thesis or a project around your strengths.
- Manuel Geier, “Enabling Mobility and Message Delivery Guarantees in Distributed MQTT Networks”, Diploma Thesis, TU Wien, 2018.
- Philipp Raith, “Performance Evaluation of Java IO Models”, Bachelor Thesis, TU Wien, 2018.
|The CPS/IoT Ecosystem is a collaborative effort between TU Wien, AIT, IST, and TTTech, to evaluate state-of-the art cyber-physical system and Internet of Things technologies, and build a unified CPS/IoT ecosystem for industrial and educational applications.|
- Gusev, M., Koteska, B., Kostoska, M., Jakimovski, B., Dustdar, S., Rausch, T., … Fahringer, T. (2019). A Deviceless Edge Computing Approach for Streaming IoT Applications. IEEE Internet Computing, 23(1), 37–45.
- Rausch, T., & Dustdar, S. (2019). Edge Intelligence: The Convergence of Humans, Things, and AI. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E).
- Hummer, W., Muthusamy, V., Rausch, T., Dube, P., & El Maghraoui, K. (2019). ModelOps: Cloud-based Lifecycle Management for Reliable and Trusted AI. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E).
- Skarlat, O., Karagiannis, V., Rausch, T., Bachmann, K., & Schulte, S. (2018). A Framework for Optimization, Service Placement, and Runtime Operation in the Fog. In 2018 IEEE/ACM 11th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC’18).
- Rausch, T., Avasalcai, C., & Dustdar, S. (2018). Portable Energy-Aware Cluster-Based Edge Computers. In 2018 IEEE/ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC’18).
- Isakovic, H., Ratasich, D., Hirsch, C., Platzer, M., Wally, B., Rausch, T., … others. (2018). CPS/IoT Ecosystem: A platform for research and education. In Proceedings of the 14th Workshop on Embedded and Cyber-Physical Systems Education (WESE 2018).
- Rausch, T., Dustdar, S., & Ranjan, R. (2018). Osmotic Message-Oriented Middleware for the Internet of Things. IEEE Cloud Computing, 5(2), 17–25.
- Rausch, T., Nastic, S., & Dustdar, S. (2018). EMMA: Distributed QoS-Aware MQTT Middleware for Edge Computing Applications. In 2018 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E).
- Rausch, T. (2017). Message-oriented Middleware for Edge Computing Applications. In Proceedings of the 18th Doctoral Symposium of the 18th International Middleware Conference (pp. 3–4).
- Nastic, S., Rausch, T., Scekic, O., Dustdar, S., Gusev, M., Koteska, B., … Prodan, R. (2017). A Serverless Real-Time Data Analytics Platform for Edge Computing. IEEE Internet Computing, 21(4), 64–71.
- Rausch, T., Hummer, W., Leitner, P., & Schulte, S. (2017). An Empirical Analysis of Build Failures in the Continuous Integration Workflows of Java-based Open-source Software. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories.
- Thomas Rausch, “Build Failure Prediction in Continuous Integration Workflows”, Diploma Thesis, TU Wien, 2016.
I have been an official reviewer for